Was 10 million dollars really transferred from FEMA funds to ICE funds by the President of the United States? In light of Hurricane Michael I wonder how people feel about that. How are people in Puerto Rico getting along with their recovery?
The power is out in many places around us.
It occurs to me that at least some hurricane deaths may be due to poverty. People who say, "Oh, we'll just ride it out" are really thinking that they can't afford the expense of leaving and living elsewhere temporarily. Not everyone can get a free ride and shelter.
Evacuation and stuff: I saw it during the evacuation for Hurricane Hugo. A car packed with "stuff" to include birds and fish. Barely room for the grandparents in the back seat. No room for a spare can of gas, drinking water, or emergency toilet paper. We have recordings of our photos, movies, and possessions (for insurance purposes) in our glove compartment and just leave. In the long run everything is temporary.
Insurance: As a young family from very modest means (coal miners and steelworkers) we spent everything we had on schools. We once borrowed money so that our family would be insured. Now many people say, "I didn't have it because I couldn't afford it." It is not easy to donate to people who chose not to have fire or flood insurance. While high cost is a problem for many, some people seem to be able to afford many optional conveniences. Nonetheless we must be human and support our brothers and sisters.
I get it. It is not funny: Power is out all around us. Is it time now to charge batteries and store water?
No comments:
Post a Comment